GoDaddy Website Builder

2020-21

Overview & Problem

GoDaddy has had a series of rebrands over the last couple of years. This page is a great example of a series of changes from rebranding to tests that gave us positive results.

Below is the before and after of the godaddy website builder page. Please see the notes on the side to follow through the various tests and journey.

 

My Role

As a Senior Design Lead I lead the design strategy for this project while partnering with the UX strategist, copy person, director of marketing and the product manager on content strategy. I worked with a senior designer and a production designer who helped contribute to brain storming and creative production. 
 

Project Timeline

Design kickoff to engineering handoff: 8 weeks
 

Visual Approach

Working with UX researchers we learnt about a lot of the industries that perform well from a visual story telling perspective, like furniture, wearable items and so on, we asked ourselves what do people shop for online, what can small businesses relate to and created a more relatable experience. 

I am always driving the team to think scalable and global which results in a more consistent experience across godaddy.com. This not only results in a more uniform design experience but reduces the effort of production and QA, reduces the level of coordination between the email and social teams VS the product and marketing.

wsb.jpg

Before

Current

We started with testing the templates module first. 1 step at a time. Lucky, it was a win, we had a 4% increase in free trials sign up. See more

The idea was to come up with a solution against the left right left stacked modules, with the intention of consolidating content and creating a more standardized and scalable design approach that could be used across all markets and multiple pages. See more

 

This also allowed us to get more useful information about the how and what, test and make room for the trust pilot and all of this without increasing the length of the page and scroll.

Our approach with this was again, scalability and globalization. We did a series of preference tests and went with the one that performed best. And here's the winner. See more

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 11.27.03 PM.png
 

Marquee Preference Test

Frame-3465136.jpg

Templates test, past and future

Marketers were complaining that the current module is taking cutomers into specific templates and distracting them away from exploring all templates. We are getting fewer clickes than before on the view all.
While from a brand perspective we need to explore new designers to get closer to tne new look and feel.

Observation & Solution

Come up with a version where customers are not taken to any specific template but instead can focus on viewing all and understanding the wide range of templates WSB has to offer.
Create a more clean, north star look and feel while trying to achieve a higher click through rate.
 

 

Past templates module
 

Frame-23.jpg

Current templates module
 

Test module against control (current) templates module
 

Frame-23.jpg
 

Feature Card Module

As a designer I wanted to get rid of the long scroll and the left right left module and replace with a quick card module. Make it a feature and create a separation from how we typically present body content on a page. I wanted to achieve something that could be just set up and picked up by anyone anywhere without having to rework or readjust things from a design and production standpoint or have devs places multiple modules left right left and go through a longer review process. I created something that tested well and was a roll out, what it achieved is a consistency in design, global design approach with all marketers just picking the features that work for them and use any of the variations that fit their need.

Feature Card Module Design System

Variation 1

Group-5132.jpg
Group-5133.jpg

Variation 2

Group 5134.jpg

Variation 3

Group-5133.jpg

Variation 3

Group-5132.jpg

Impact

  • The hero marquee design was a success and a roll out to all countries. This reduced creative production and dev work by half.
     

  • This project impacted the design library in more than 1 way. It contributed to a new templates pattern. It also contributed to a feature card module that could get placed and used in any product page without having to redesign. This also reduced dev and production work by 80%.
     

  • We designed a page that could be used in all markets and removed all other variations.
     

  • A/B test resulted in a 100% roll out with increased sign up rate and GCR.